Candy apples are especially common at state fairs and other festivals, but they are also easy to make at home!
12 small apples of any kind
12 popsicle sticks
3 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of light corn syrup
1 cup of water
1/2 teaspoon of red food coloring
Note: You will need a candy thermometer for this recipe.
1) Wash and dry apples. Insert one popsicle stick into the top of each apple. Place all 12 apples on a cooking sheet lined with wax paper and cooking spray.
2) Add sugar, corn syrup, and water in a pot over medium heat.
3) Once the mixture reaches a boil and is measured to be 300° Fahrenheit, remove the pot from heat and stir in the red food coloring.
4) Dip and swirl each apple in the candy while it is still hot. The candy cools quickly, so you should try to dip them as quickly and safely as possible.
5) Move each apple back to the cooking sheet as you finish dipping them.
Congratulations! You can now make your very own candy apples to share with your friends and family. Or you can eat all of them by yourself.